Saturday, March 31, 2007

Spring Planning

I can't believe it is the last day of March already. I still have a few things on my to-do list , but I do not feel too bad about that because it has been a productive first quarter of the year.

I have been very involved in planning with several organizations over the past few months and it has been both exhilarating and exhausting! Creating and going through the process of planning new organizations, programs and projects is like watching the tulips push through the soil this time of year. I look at them and wonder if they will survive through the still cold nights, what color they will be when they bloom, and how long they will last. In a similar way, I brood over the organizations I work with to help them through the grant development process.

Many times people will come to me asking for help in writing grant proposals, but what they really need is help in strategically planning for their programs. There are many different ways to approach planning. Planning might include:

  • Identifying constituent needs
  • Creating organizational goals and objectives to meet those needs
  • Crafting a reasonable time line
  • Assigning personnel and monetary resources
  • Targeting potential donors
These listed above are just a few aspects of the planning process. Whether you are trying to expand your services, or just stay afloat with your current programs, find a system or process that works best for your organization. As you enjoy the spring weather, remember the deeper the planning, the better the results.

No comments: